Couple Transporting Grill Injured After SUV Explodes When Wife Lights Up Cig

A couple transporting a barbecue grill was injured Sunday after their rental SUV exploded, Orlando police said.

Authorities say the crash happened about 3:30 p.m. near the entrance of the Central Florida Fairgrounds near Colonial Drive and Pete Parrish Boulevard.

The couple, identified as Pierre Dadaille and Meguydeline Dessource, had a barbecue grill in the back of their red Kia Sorento, Orlando Police Lt. Cindy Lane said.

The grill was turned on and the propane tank was open and connected, Lane said.

Police said the wife went to light up a cigarette and the SUV exploded.

The vehicle continued heading westbound and crashed into a pole, Lane said.

Both people inside the SUV were burned but police said their injuries were not life threatening.

The vehicle was severely damaged. Photos of the SUV after the incident show the vehicle's roof partially blown off.

The photos also show dents all over the vehicle and the windshield completely blown off.

Dadaille had an active warrant for his arrest on a fleeing and eluding charge, according to police.

Read more at Tribune News Service